March 19, 2007

Saint Petersburg - or: escape from Real Life

Now that I'm on a plane again, I've resorted back to my tiny notebook from China & Baikonur to write down my impressions. It strikes me again how I should do this in real life as well.

Because sitting in an airplane flying off to a new place doesn't feel like real life. At all. And yet it's the only thing I feel like doing over these past few weeks.

Sitting here I almost get a 'flash-forward' to the time that I still have left until April. That flight is more extreme though - a mystery trip, of sorts. I'm on my way somewhere, but I don't know when this plane is landing, or where that landing place will be. And that's just until April.

More in general, life over the past 1,5 years has felt like a rollercoaster. A very long and windy one, with high ascents immediately followed by deep plunges.

I love rollercoasters. I love the thrill of being on one, the adrenaline screaming through your body. Not anymore though. Can we stop the ride? This one is going on for too long, I can't see the finish and whatever is in between is too fogged over to see. I'm tired of this, I want to jump off.

The comparison doesn't completely match of course. With a rollercoaster you finish at the same place as you started. And that's not the case for me. I'm heading to a better place and knowing that, I'll hang on to the ride for now instead of jumping out of the carriage. Those things never work out well.

----

For now, I'm descending towards Pulkovo-2 airport, where I'll be met by a friend who I haven't seen for 1,5 years. Bring on the vodka!

No comments: