January 24, 2006

Phone etiquette (#1)

Please, when you call me but can't reach me, leave a voicemail message if you're calling from an unknown number. There's a reason why you have that option.

------

[Am obsessing about a missed call today. It now looks as if it really is a jobrelated call, which only makes it worse that I missed it. They'll call back, right? At exactly the moment that I'm free to talk without my colleagues around?]

[update: okay, that was a bit of a rant. I don't like phones. I should have just called back of course. In the end, they called back and left a message. It's not about a job. Gah. It's about a volunteer thing though, which is cool, except that since making my interest known to this organisation for volunteering I have found two other volunteer projects that I'd much rather do... I guess I'm going to be busy this year... ]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As to the matter of volunteers, it reminds me of the things happended several weeks ago.
I was chatting with my friend working in Beijing at that time, and said I would like to be a volunteer for the 2008 Olympic games when I'm back. "No way! There is no vacancy left." She said. "What? It's just 2005, the game will be held THREE years later!" It sounds ridiculous for me. "It's true, there is no vacancy for the volunteers any more, my friend applied it several months before, he was also rejected for it's full." "..."

For the first time, I realized China is in short of everything but PEOPLE.

machiruda said...

I'm actually surprised that they're already taking applications for an event that's still more than two years off!

Volunteering at the Olympics could be fun though, maybe you can be involved in a different way by then. Considering your level of English - at least written ;) - you might be able to work there as something more than just a volunteer?

Anonymous said...

Since China and Chinese take the Olympic games as one of the greatest evens ever, it's normal to get to know they take it soooo seriously. Besides it's said they need to give all the trainees some special exercitations beforehand or something...
In a word, being a volunteer is a mission impossible now.
Hope I can get other ways to take part in it. Otherwise I will have to buy a ticket and watch the games over thousands of heads in the stadium at that time.:(