April 08, 2006

All-Round Reader

I just took this on-line test about reading personalities. Usually these things are not too interesting, and in a sense my result is easy to achieve but it still makes sense to me.

Apparently I'm an all-round reader:
Your responses showed you fitting equally into all four reading personalities:

Involved Reader
: You don't just love to read books, you love to read about books. For you, half the fun of reading is the thrill of the chase - discovering new books and authors, and discussing your finds with others.
Yep, that sounds about right. I make an effort to read the Friday bookpages in the newspaper and in magazines. And I make note of recommendations that I hear about through friends.

Exacting Reader: You love books but you rarely have as much time to read as you'd like - so you're very particular about the books you choose.
This is quite true as well. I love to read, and I'll read loads of different things, but I won't quickly pick up a book that I've only heard mediocre things about. And, if I'm not into the book within say 50 pages I'll put it away again. Luckily this doesn't happen a lot!

Serial Reader: Once you discover a favorite writer you tend to stick with him/her through thick and thin.
Yes, I have a few favourite writers and I'll buy anything from them when it comes out without knowing what it's about or how it has been reviewed (at the moment these authors are David Mitchell and Haruki Murakami)

Eclectic Reader: You read for entertainment but also to expand your mind. You're open to new ideas and new writers, and are not wedded to a particular genre or limited range of authors.
Uhuh, I probably have books in any genre on my bookshelf and love them too. Fantasy, romantic drama, political intrige, mystery etc. I also read different languages so I'm not too stuck by just reading contemporary English-language lit. And although I tend to read mostly fiction, I'm now waiting impatiently for a few non-fiction books to come in on 'cosmopolitanism' and economic reform... I guess I need a bit of intellectual challenge again now that I'm not getting that at my work!

Speaking of books, I had a very pleasant surprise yesterday. Through an internet-book-exchange I came home yesterday to find a package containing a book from Finland. It looks really really cool, so can't wait to get started on it!

1 comment:

Jo said...

I think I fall into all four categories as well.

One of the things I love about living here is I'm always exchanging books, or being given or picking up books that normally I wouldn't have chosen to read, just because they're available and in English. I've read some great books in this way since I've been here.