September 05, 2008

D.C., etc.

I'm on my last day in Washington, D.C. and it's been different than expected. It isn't the overwhelming city reflecting world power that I thought it would be. I had partly expected a city resembling Moscow, not in style but in feeling. Huge, overwhelming, giant - with a clear sense of all the money and power there is located in those blocks.

Washington isn't like that. Yes, there are a lot of big government buildings and the roads are big and almost look built for tanks (like in Moscow and Beijing). But the buildings look antiquated to me, huge but built to remember and not to use and work in. They don't feel real, only seem to be a tourist attraction while the actual power goes on somewhere else.

A little bit of a disappointment. But, the weather is amazing, the museums are free to go in and wander around, I am catching up with some people here and am mostly relaxing and unwinding. Very very good.

No comments: