July 14, 2005

Book shopping! (but cd non-shopping..)

I was hoping to stock up on Japanesey stuff to last me for the time that I won't be back. Unfortunately my money has run out... Nevertheless, I do have some cool things to keep me busy for the next few weeks/months while I'm jobhunting back home.

BookOff's are great. Just wish I could find stuff a bit easier. But, to increase my collection of Japanese literature I can look forward to the following:
Ryu Murakami - ストレンジ・デイズ
Ryotaro Shiba - 侍はこわい (love the title: Samurai are scary!)
Miyuki Miyabe - 今夜は眠れない (supposedly one of the better Japanese mystery/thriller authors)
Kaori Ekuni - きらきらひかる (noticed an English translation of this book recently, so thought I'd check out the original)
Kenzaburo Oe - 性的人間 (let's just say this one will look good on my bookshelf... Oe sounds like stressful reading!)

And of course another part in the ラブ・コン series! For anyone interested in starting manga, and learning Osaka-ben at the same time, the adventures of 小泉 and 大谷 are hilarious. Hopefully this will keep up my Osaka-ben skills!

One that I am most looking forward to is a recent Murakami book that I blogged about before: 半島を出よ. Hope that this will turn out to be failry readable... I wonder what havoc the North Koreans will wreck in Japan in Murakami's interpretation!

On a different note, music!
I found the 'Plastic Sex' cd in the shops the other day: Here comes SEX education. A pretty weird name, but it seems to be a new project from Nakamura Yoshio (formerly from The Plastics) with interesting collaborations.
The latest Towa Tei (of course of Pizzicatto Five fame) album Flash also sounded quite good. And M-Flo seems to be at work with new stuff. And I want some Orange Range stuff...

Like I said, my money's already gone though :(

No comments: