January 27, 2005

Settling in?

Here I was, typing away about how my life in Tokyo is coming together, and there goes the newly installed internetconnection. I guess I'm not so settled in yet, huh...

So, where was I....
It feels as if Tokyo is now just about ready to start on me. I'm now living in a room of my own, just hooked up my pc to the LANnetwork (but well, yes, uhm...), am loving my keitai (very pink!), the infamous Alien Card is being processed as we speak, as well as my bankaccount. All going well then.

Work is also still fine. Am doing different things at the moment which is good. The largest political party in Japan (LDP or Liberal Democratic Party) is celebrating its 50 year anniversary. While I'm not wholely convinced that that is a good thing, it's bringing some interesting opportunities along. Such as listening to former PM Yasuhiro Nakasone recounting his views on the current state of Japan. Turning 86 this year, he was refused to run for a new term as PM recently because of this age. So yes, an interesting afternoon. And, someone had thought that it would be nice to give the Dutch people VIPseats on the second row. Well, I'm not complaining :)

What else? Oh, I'm finally re-discovering the areas in Tokyo. Which is good because it also means that I'm re-discovering some very cool places. Like my favourite ラーメン屋 in Ikebukuro. 'Ramen' are Japanese noodles and soooo nice. There's even a museum in Yokohama! So much fun, because - of course - you can try out all kinds of ramen from all over the country. Yokohama seems to be the place for foodmuseums anyway. Just found out that there is also a 'museum' on Chinese food so hoping to go there soon. Check back for a report on that :)
Harajuku is turning into one of my favourite areas of the city. I already liked it before but I'm discovering more and more nice places. Omotesando is fun, the broad street with the trees, exclusive shops etc. But right behind it are tiny little alleys with the coolest boutiques, funky coffeeshops, great (and empty!) restaurants. Can't wait for summer as this seems to be one of the few places where you can sit and eat outdoors in Tokyo! And, apparently there's cool architecture in that area also. Such as this building at Omotesando

No comments: