September 11, 2011

10 years - 6 months (2/2)


More cranes
Originally uploaded by macchi.



It felt strange including the second event which I am thinking about today in the previous post as it is so different from 9/11: the natural disaster which hit Japan on 11 March 2011.

This is one that became very personal as Japan and its people and society is so close to my heart.

I was woken up that day, which I had taken off from work, by a text message from a friend asking if everything was ok and if my friends were alright. There was no mention about Japan and I had no idea what he was talking about. But clearly something wasn't right, and my mind did go to Japan as it seemed the only thing that he would text me about. A quick look at Twitter from my phone immediately confirmed that feeling.

I spent the rest of the day glued to the tv and internet - I couldn't believe what had happened, what I was seeing and the continuous worsening of the situation. Not just an earthquake, but then the tsunami and to top it off the disaster at the nuclear plant at Fukushima. I couldn't stop watching the news all weekend as the news became worse and worse.

My friends are all okay, though I read worrying messages from friends who live slightly north of Tokyo. It must be such a scary situation, even now 6 months on to live so close to an invisible danger that you cannot judge at all. But you have nowhere to go.

My thoughts go out to all the victims in Japan, everyone who has lost family, friends, their house and livelihoods.

I hope to visit Japan after a long time again next year. Hopefully somehow I can fit in something during that trip that might help.

3 comments:

Marije Nederveen said...

Hey why don't you try to do a journalism piece? Or some kind of story - a year after? But maybe from the perspective of your friends that live there. Just a thought.

machiruda said...

Hm, interesting thought. But it's only been 6 months ;-) It might be an idea to do something like that when I'm travelling the region next spring.... (though that's a bit more than 1 year)

Marije Nederveen said...

I also meant it for your travel next year, but you can think about it now to have an idea what you really would like to do and even prepare a bit, so great minds....