July 09, 2006

Hmm, travel....

I don't have much news to tell, but needed to share my latest book purchase:

- a China guidebook!

Woohoo! Looks like I'm definitely going!

Not a definite travel plan so far - hopefully a friend and I can make a plan to travel together for part of the way. Tentative itinerary is to fly into Beijing and fly out of Shanghai (although I'm considering to change this to Hongkong instead) and travel from one city to the next in about three weeks time (in September/October-ish).

I know there are some China-travellers and such reading, if you have any suggestions for what we definitely should see in those weeks, please leave a comment!

P.S. Our current planned travel period would have us be in China during the October holiday week. How bad is it really to travel in the country in this period? Avoid at all costs, or is it doable without planning ahead too much?

2 comments:

Jules said...

OK, posting that as black on black was... interesting. Secret hidden messages on your blog!!

China trip suggestions:

Firstly, YES, the October holiday period will be ridiculously chaotic to be travelling during. EVERYONE in the entire country is on holiday at the same time, and a lot of them decide to travel then. I never stayed in China during those periods, since I could not face the chaos - I would fly out a couple of days before it began and return a couple of days afterwards, since travelling in China normally is stressful without having to deal with all the extra people as well.

I love, love, love Shanghai. One of my fave cities in the world. I love walking around the French Concession Area, Xin Tian Di is interesting to see as well, and there is a really cool bar that overlooks the Bund called New Heights at 3 on the Bund.

machiruda said...

Hmm, yes, it is being funny huh, this post. Hope it's just a blogger-thing that will be fixed soon!

Thanks for the tips on Shanghai. And for the feedback on the October holiday. You've confirmed my suspicions but it also means that it'll be really difficult to find a good period for us both :-/