June 11, 2006

Packing (1); or, May reading list

[update at 11 june]
So, out of the below list, I read Irving's book which I really enjoyed. I was disappointed with The History of Love though. So that's two books down... Did start in Cosmopolitanism, and have started in the Finnish book which so far looks really interesting, a very cool story-'frame'.

But, I came home with a new book in German, which I will try to tackle sometime soon. And as mentioned I found the new Mitchell. I also bought a book on Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union which I started reading in the plane. So far it's very good.... But I don't think I've made much progress on eliminating the big stack of unread books, huh?

-----

[original at 10 may]
This time next week I'll be sound asleep in Moscow.

At the moment, though, I still have a very packed few days ahead. I have also not giving thought to any packing yet (suitcase vs. backpack, office wear vs. casual wear, well, you get what I mean).
However, I have made a pretty cool selection out of my bookshelfs of unread books to bring! Here's what's coming along in any case:

Not before sundown by Johanna Sinisalo - the result of an international book exchange.
A History of Love by Nicole Krauss - a friend highly recommended this as I was telling her how I'm currently very impressed with Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Close.
The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving

and out of professional habit, so to speak, Kimono by Liza Dalby.

and for when I have had enough of engineering talk, Cosmopolitanism by Kwame Anthony Appiah and Orientalism by Edward Said. Hmm, should actually be an interesting combination to read.

Oh, and maybe a new Terry Pratchett for some light entertainment in between?

What say you? Four weeks in the middle of nowhere, will this list suffice? ;-)

[@14/05]And additionally, a new book for my bookcase and my suitcase, The Quiet Violence of Dreams by K. Sello Duiker.

2 comments:

Jules said...

I vote suitcase - it is a work trip (right?), so a backpack just won't cut it. Esp if you have work clothes in there (they get all crumpley). And you will be staying in a nice hotel (correct?). Suitcase just says "I am a professional - take me seriously", as opposed to a backpack which is great for fun travel.

machiruda said...

Yes, it's for work. Although I'm not expected (I think) to be very formally/office-type dressed. And the type of baggage will partly depend on whether or not I have to switch hotels in Moscow, I might not have to in which the suitcase will be fine.

Ah, choices choices... ;)