February 14, 2005

Japan, Middle East, Russia, China = energytroubles...

The Oil and Gas Journal published an article about Japan's energy environment this month.
Maybe not so interesting to most of you, but after North Korea, it seems my research interests are shifting to oil and gas. And I can't quite believe I'm still writing about it at home after having worked non-stop on a report about it all of last week....

Either way, I'm always pleased to see things that confirm my own findings. Like this article, so I thought I'd share :)

Here's the first paragraph:
The Japanese government is working on several fronts to enhance energy security and reduce the country's reliance on oil from the Middle East.
But that dependency is unlikely to change much anytime soon, said analyst Hosoe Tomoko in a January report by Fesharaki Associates Consulting & Technical Services Inc. (FACTS Inc.), Honolulu.
Japan is trying to strengthen its nuclear power infrastructure and to import more LNG and has developed a petroleum stockpile system, initiated an environment tax, and is working toward importing oil from Russia and Iran as alternative sources of oil supply.
It also is making upstream investments overseas, reestablishing a relationship with Middle East oil exporters, and helping other southeastern Asian countries develop strategic stockpiling, Hosoe said.


Exactly. Just like I'm saying.
Now, did I really need to take a month to find this out....? :-S At least I got some good sushi out of it!

No comments: